Like many places, Soham has a rich history that covers thousands of years, which the local population and tourists to the area wish to embrace. The Soham Heritage and Tourism Group are actively progressing this need for the benefit of all. We have already achieved one of our aims, by gaining two central points in Soham, where everyone can view items, and read information on a whole raft of subjects. These ‘cabinets’ are located in the Walter Gidney Pavilion and Soham Library. We are hoping to provide more ‘history hubs’ around Soham, so we can involve our community, businesses and visitors alike, whilst exhibiting and interacting with all that our great town has to offer. All are to promote and support Soham through exhibiting the Town’s heritage and history. You will also find items for sale which include:
- Individual Lives – A fascinating book revealing the personal life stories of those who have lived and worked in Soham. This publication is now only available as a ‘download’ as all books have sold out. Go to: www.eljohnstonbooks.co.uk
- Postcards Choose from one of our popular selections of images of Soham available from Soham Books, High Street, Soham.
- Soham Tourist Guide Includes places of interest, some of our famous sons and interesting features with more extensive information and images included. OUT SOON
- Soham Tourist Leaflet Includes places and points of interest in Soham. There are details on our millennium walks and a map with indicators on where numerous sites and finds are located from prehistoric times to the Medieval. This is a small leaflet, designed specifically to give you a taste of what Soham has to offer. You can find these leaflets in Soham Library, St Andrew’s Church, The Post Office, Jak Hibs, Soham Books and Ely’s Cromwell House, FREE of charge.
- Interesting Internments (Dead Interesting) – Find out about some of our most famous and interesting past residents. The leaflet is free and can be found at Soham Library, Jak Hibbs and several High Street shops.
OUT SOON and FREE of charge.
- Children’s Guide and Activity Book – In this you will find some very interesting and some gruesome facts about the past inhabitants of Soham, from the Stone Age up. There are also history related games and activities placed throughout to add to your enjoyment. OUT SOON and FREE of charge.
Events, Exhibitions and Displays: Keeping our heritage alive
We offer regular events, talks, Soham walks, activity days, displays and exhibitions, on a wide range of topics at various locations around the town and East Anglia, every year – in authentic costume and character! We also continually produce countless displays of Soham items, original artefacts, photographs, clothing, maps and accurate information on a wide range of local subjects from our expansive archives. Our collections and items, range from the stone age to the present day.
We are a real ‘living history’ group. This website and our facebook page (see the link below under social media on this page) will give you the most up to date information on our activity.
NB: We are not affiliated to, a sub committee of, or under the ‘umbrella’ of any other group.
Soham Heritage and Tourism also post videos, via facebook and You Tube, on our own channel.
(2) Soham Heritage & Tourism | Facebook
Aims and Objectives:
- We are committed to support our town through it’s history and heritage
- To promoting tourism in East Cambridgeshire with our many working partnerships and like-minded groups and individuals
- To assist, and give the public access to accurate information on Soham’s history
- To promote other worthy groups and individuals in Soham and throughout East Cambridgeshire
- Engage with schools and all age ranges on delivering activity days and exhibitions that match the national curriculum
- Offer research information on local subjects, buildings and genealogy
- Continue to add to the extensive and on-going archive of Soham’s history and heritage, for all to access – online, hard copy or through exhibition
- An approved, ratified and signed constitution – (12th May 2012)
- Established good working long term partnerships with various organisations and government bodies
- We are a NON PROFIT organisation
- In line with Soham’s Master Plan and the emerging Soham and Barway Neighbourhood Plan
- Our own full Public Liability, Collections and Event insurance
- DBS checked and approved committee members
- Soham Town Council
- Soham Branch of the Royal British Legion
- St Andrew’s Church
- St Andrew’s C of E Primary School and The Weatheralls Primary School
- The Friends of Soham Village College (FoSVC)
- Soham Community Association (SCA)
- The Hereward Searchers Detectors Club
- East Cambridgeshire Metal Detecting Society
- Soham Town Forum (members)
- Soham Library, Clay Street, Soham
- Soham Community Association (SCA)
- Touch Point
- Soham WW1 Centenary Commemoration Committee members.
NB.: The Soham Royal British Legion now have a facebook page
CALH (Cambridgeshire Association for Local History) award for making a substantial contribution to local history – “Soham and the Great War”. A publication researched and collated by members of Soham Heritage and Tourism, as part of the Soham WW1 Commemoration Committee, for the 2014 Centenary. Awarded: 16th September 2017.