Like many places, Soham has a rich history that covers thousands of years, which the local population and tourists to the area wish to embrace. The Soham Heritage and Tourism Group are actively progressing this need for the benefit of all. We have already achieved one of our aims, by gaining two central points in Soham, where everyone can view items, and read information on a whole raft of subjects. These ‘cabinets’ are located in the Walter Gidney Pavilion and Soham Library. They are to promote and support Soham through exhibiting the Town’s heritage and history. You will also find items for sale within Soham books and Jak Hibs (Both along Soham High Street), which include:
- St Andrew’s Rood Screen Bosses (plaster) Exclusive replica’s of the bosses from St Andrew’s church Medieval rood screen.
- Individual Lives – A fascinating book revealing the personal life stories of those who have lived and worked in Soham. This publication is now only available as a ‘download’ as all books have sold out. Go to: www.eljohnstonbooks.co.uk
- Postcards Choose from one of our popular selections of images of Soham available from Soham Books, High Street, Soham.
- Soham Tourist Guide Includes places of interest, some of our famous sons and interesting features with more extensive information and images included.
- Soham Tourist Leaflet Includes places and points of interest in Soham, details on our millennium walks and map with indicators on where you will find them as well as ‘finds’ markers. This is a small leaflet, designed specifically to give you a taste of what Soham has to offer. You can find these leaflets in Soham Library and in various shops along the High Street FREE of charge.
Events, Exhibitions and Displays: Keeping our heritage alive for all
We offer regular events, talks, activity days, displays and exhibitions, on a wide range of topics at various locations around the town every year. We also continually produce countless displays of Soham items, original artefacts, photographs, clothing, maps and accurate information on a wide range of local subjects from our expansive archive. Our collections and items, range from the Pre History to the present day. Apart from the enormous interest shown by the public, at all of our displays, there is also a serious point to note. By providing these displays throughout the year we are not only showing items that would not be regularly seen, but also supporting our local library and other venues.
We are a real ‘living history’ group, that makes enormous efforts in and for every thing we do.
We also provide cabinet space for items from official groups and numerous individuals who share a love and passion for Soham, it’s history and our shared heritage over many centuries. Without this, some items may never be seen and shared. We THANK them all for working along side us to give the people of Soham and visitors to our great town the opportunity to view their items, which others don’t. Soham Heritage and Tourism are true custodians of our heritage for and on behalf of the people of Soham and surrounding areas.
NB: All donations are made to us with the full knowledge of the donator(s), and that they are being given solely to Soham Heritage and Tourism, to be held and preserved for the people of Soham and to no other group or organisation.
This website will give you the most up to date information on all our activity. You can also visit our facebook page (see link to top right of this page)
Soham Heritage and Tourism posts, videos and information are now available online, via facebook and You Tube.
Aims and Objectives:
- We are committed to support our town through it’s history and heritage
- To promoting tourism in East Cambridgeshire with our many working partnerships and like-minded groups and individuals
- To assist, educate and give the public access to accurate information on Soham’s history
- To promote other worthy groups and individuals in Soham and throughout East Cambridgeshire
- Continue to add to the extensive and on-going archive of Soham’s history and heritage, for all to access – online, hard copy or through exhibition
- Provide information and education to the community and local schools on our town
- Membership of community organisations group – (from 25th June 2012)
- An approved, ratified and signed constitution – (12th May 2012)
- Established good working long term partnerships with various organisations and government bodies
- We are a NON PROFIT organisation
- In line with Soham’s Master plan / Vision
- Our own full Public Liability, Collections and Event insurance
- DBS checked and approved committee members
- The Hereward Searchers Detectors Club
- East Cambridgeshire Metal Detecting Society
- Soham Town Forum (members)
- Soham Library, Clay Street, Soham
- South Angle Farm Park
- Soham WW1 Centenary Commemoration Committee members (2014 to 2018). Other committee members include: Soham Royal British Legion, Soham Town Council and Soham Town Forum.
The only Soham WW1 commemoration event with National Heritage Lottery Funding. http://branches.britishlegion.
NB.: The Soham Royal British Legion now have a facebook page
CALH (Cambridgeshire Association for Local History) award for making a substantial contribution to local history – “Soham and the Great War”. A publication researched and collated by members of Soham Heritage and Tourism, as part of the Soham WW1 Commemoration Committee, for the 2014 Centenary. Awarded: 16th September 2017.